[wp-hackers] Re: Removal Of Over 200 Themes?

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Sat Dec 13 18:05:35 GMT 2008

Lynne Pope wrote:
> That is exactly the point of disagreement. Using the loop, or calling
> functions from outside the loop does not necessarily result in derivative
> code. See this for a lawyer's point of view:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6366

 From that article:

***
1) The primary indication of whether a new program is a derivative
work is whether the source code of the original program was used,
modified, translated or otherwise changed in any way to create the new
program. If not, then I would argue that it is not a derivative work.
***

So if they start from a GPL theme as a starting point, and then use
and modify that source code, it is a derivative work. Right?

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX