[wp-hackers] Re: Removal Of Over 200 Themes?

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Fri Dec 12 20:53:43 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Navjot Singh <navjotjsingh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand this policy of removing theme of a author who only shows
> ads of a premium theme. How does GPL violates in this case. Please refer to
> http://www.jeffro2pt0.com/why-were-200-wordpress-themes-removed#comment-2952-
> Adii's comment here on what I mean. A person whos releases a GPL theme
> but
> only uses a affiliate banner of a premium theme site - Does this also
> violates GPL in a way?

No, the paid links thing is a completely different issue from GPL.
It's a policy for inclusion in wordpress.org/extend (as i understand
it) because they want to keep quality high and avoid exploiters just
looking to make money by re-releasing existing themes with paid links.

You can be as commercial as you want with GPL code as long as you keep
the license attatched to your product. GPL-compliance and "no paid
links" are just two seperate qualifications to be in the theme/plugin
repositories.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://simianuprising.com
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org