[wp-hackers] Re: Removal Of Over 200 Themes?

Joost de Valk joost at yoast.com
Fri Dec 12 20:13:55 GMT 2008

On 12 Dec 2008, at 20:57, Jeff Chandler wrote:

> So to get this straight, it is perfectly acceptable for someone to
> sell a wordpress theme and make a business out of it but it is not
> acceptable to state that the work, or the links within the work can
> not be modified and redistributed? How many different ways can a
> theme author violate the GPL while trying to make a business out of
> it? I bet Brian Gardner is happy with his decision to bypass the GPL
> mess and just base his business model through support packages and
> what have you.

Remember that all of this has never been tested in court and probably
WILL not be tested in court. The premium theme space created one of
the first ways for developers to make REAL money with WordPress. As a
plugin author, I know that there is hardly ANY money in developing
open source plugins. With almost 25 plugins in the repository myself,
I get a max of about $100 a month in donations. That wouldn't be
enough to maintain those plugins if I did it for the money (I don't,
let's get that straight, although I appreciate the donations and they
do help).

Brian Gardner's new model is probably better, but I doubt it'll make
him as much money.  In my opinion, it would be cool if the WordPress
community and / or Automattic could make a method in which plugin
authors could earn a bit more money writing open source plugins. That
would probably help people keeping up longer, but I know from
experience how hard that is.

I've been a committer in Apple's WebKit project since the very
beginning of the project, and the Macbook Pro I'm typing this message
on was  a gift from Apple, almost 3 years ago. Automattic is even
better to its core contributors, it usually hires them it seems ;)

What I'm really trying to say, I think, is that it'd be good if it
were easier to actually make MONEY with WordPress, but on the other
hand, that goes for just about anything on the internet :)

(to clarify: I myself make enough money doing other things, so I
wouldn't need the money, I'm just saying this because I think it'd
help the progress of WordPress as a community. The premium themes, our
prime example, have really pushed theme development forward IMHO.)

Best,
Joost