[wp-hackers] Idea: Drag-and-Drop WordPress Admin Design (with a functional example)

Kaspars Dambis kaspars at konstruktors.com
Thu Aug 28 20:58:15 GMT 2008

Jeremy Clarke wrote:
> I think it's useful to remember that in this case 'clicks' means
> radically different things depending on whether you're talking about a
> page-reload click and a menu-opening click.

I am taking about the same-page open/hide, collapse/expand type of
clicks, which to my understanding are not bad, but can be avoided if not
necessary.

> ... I've never felt that the dropdown menu plugins were easy enough to use for large sites with
> lots of users.

Could you please elaborate on that? It would be interesting to hear your
experience and also the main user complaints.

> It's also worth remembering that in a lot of cases most users of a
> site aren't admins. For non-admin users this new menu system will put
> everything they have access to in the sidebar and they can probably
> leave them all open all the time.

Good point. The Write & Edit crowd will definitely have no problem with
the left sidebar nav. But the question is, how much worse the drop-down
menu at the top would be and why.

Best wishes,
Kaspars