[wp-hackers] updating widgets for multiple sidebars

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Aug 8 05:21:15 GMT 2008

I have a feeling Shane may be refering to using the Single widgets on
multiple sidebars, Which at present, is not possible.

At first you may ask "Why would i want a widget shown on multiple sidebars
at the same time!", but then you need to understand that that is only one
setup of multiple sidebars.

My main blog needs to have the single widgets on multiple sidebars, As i
havef a different sidebar depending if you're viewing the Blog or a Page,
I use WP as more of a CMS with a Blog subsection in that way. I also have
another few projects which uses sidebars completely differently & as such
needs widgets on multiple sidebars.
eg: http://dd32.id.au/ compared to http://dd32.id.au/blog/

Now, Back to Shane:
If thats the kind of effect you're after, then it can be done via some
'hacks' in the themes functions.php file:
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4280#comment:39
Register whatever sidebars you want, And insert them where you need them,
Then add the filters into your themes functions.php file.

I chose not to attempt to modify the core widgets to support multiple
sidebars, Mearly because the umpteen times i've tried to update a plugin
to allow it.. i've failed miserably, the API to do it is just plain
unuseable to me, it makes no sense :) -- but it certainly works.. for
other people, and wanting to have them on multiple sidebars is also a very
edge case, and in many cases, will also break XHTML validation due to
duplicated ID's and the like.