[wp-hackers] Lost categories upgrading to 2.5.1

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Apr 30 15:58:14 GMT 2008

Stefano Aglietti wrote:

> If WP never have privileges to CREATE table.. how where you able to
> install it first time?

Wordpress was originally installed on a different system where it had
CREATE TABLE privileges. Later the MySQL database was dumped and
reloaded on a new host by a db admin who did have create table
privileges. However, the WordPress user on that system never had create
table privileges, and until now never needed them.

Yes, it's not the normal way this is done; but it's a completely
reasonable thing to do; and I suspect I'm not the only one who's gone
that route; and certainly not the only person who will ever do that.

Doubtless there are other unusual combinations of activity that have not
yet been noticed or predicted. This is why error checking is so
critical. Software should not assume it knows what the environment is
without verifying it. Software should recognize and respond to all error
conditions at runtime; and user should perform backups in case the
software gets this wrong. No one of these steps is sufficient in itself.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!