[wp-hackers] Re: Jeff Atwood on WP Overhead

Anders Wegge Jakobsen wegge at obelix.wegge.dk
Wed Apr 23 18:06:56 GMT 2008

"Mahmoud H. Al-Qudsi" <computerguru at neosmart.net> writes:

>> "...I shudder to think of the number of times the Coding Horror
>> webserver would have been completely incapacitated over the years by
>> the naive -- no, that's too tame -- brainlessly stupid dynamic
>> rendering approach WordPress uses."
>>
>> I wish he'd quit beating around the bush and say what he really thinks.
>
> But what he said above is less-damaging than the truth.

 Not particularly.

> What he says: The problem is in the approach WP uses.  The truth:
> The problem is in the IMPLEMENTATION of the approach that WP uses.

 Try benchmarking a typical MediaWiki installation against a typical
WordPress. Both will do gruesome things to the server in question.

> So perhaps some things are best left unsaid :)

 What should be said is: So go and put a decent caching strategy in
front of your dynamic content!

--
// Wegge
<http://blog.wege.dk> - Her hænger jeg også ud.