[wp-hackers] Re: WordPress Object Cache and WP Super Cache

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Sat Apr 5 00:23:33 GMT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Chris Poteet <cpoteet at siolon.com> wrote:

> So the question remains whether a file-based caching system is even
> necessary?  I ask this, because at work we instituted SQL dependent
> caching in our ASP.NET app, and that methodology makes the most
> sense.  It also apparently performs the best in terms of caching
> options, while file-based is dead last.

WP-Super-Cache still has it's place, same as before 2.5. When a user visits
my site for example (www.finalgear.com), PHP is never touched. They're
directly served a gzipped .html file via mod_rewrite. The amount of CPU to
do that is incredibly minimal.

Compare that to a standard install like my personal blog and PHP has to
start up, check all files for parse errors, etc. (although this can be
disabled), fetch stuff from the database, generate the page, and then serve
it.

The differences are minimal when there's low traffic, but when you get a
huge spike and if you have a poor server, then you get in trouble.

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/