[wp-hackers] Make WP permalinks ignore a directory?

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Apr 4 22:52:29 GMT 2008

Since your using bbPress with Pretty Permalinks, I think your best bet is
to add a .htaccess to the bbpress /forum/ folder.
That .htaccess should override the wordpress .htaccess a folder down:

So in /.htaccess:
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

and then in /forum/.htaccess

# BEGIN bbPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /forum/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /forum/index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END bbPress
(Or whatever the bbPress recomended .htaccess is.

The result is that the web server should spot the .htaccess in the /forum/
folder and use that instead of using the next folder it checks.
(ie. If its looking in /forum/site/something/ it looks for
/forum/site/something/.htaccess, then /forum/site/.htaccess, then
/forum/.htaccess, then /.htaccess)

That should work..