[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Ideas and Scope Questions

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Fri Apr 4 16:17:58 GMT 2008

> This will be accomplished by two major functionalities: enabling
> user-generated content submission via site's front end and user point /
> reward scheme that promotes user's engagement.
>

> I was planning to make these one integrated plugin, however it came to
> me
> that maybe it's better to separate them and into 2 projects, so that
> each
> can have more in-depth functionalities?
>
> I would like to ask your opinion on the scope.. would 2 systems under
> one
> roof be too much?
> And if it's better to turn it into 2 plugins, may I know which one
> would you
> think would be more beneficial for the community?

(Replying to an off-list heads-up)

Hello Fara,

Thanks for your application and your interest in WordPress!

I’m personally mentoring “under the hood” in areas of performance and load testing, but here’s my two cents regarding the questions you asked.

In my opinion, the two features you bring up are strongly tied together, in a synergistic kind of way. Both features together under one roof (so to speak) bring a far-different picture than the two features as separate plugins. I don't see why you'd have to sacrifice functionality in order to put them together (unless you're referring to time constraints), and keeping them together as one plugin also lets you do all kinds of nifty integrations and other neat tricks.

Please note that I'm not endorsing the actual addition of such user-generated/interactive features to the WordPress project, I'm just answering the questions you've posed to the community ;-)

-Mahmoud Al-Qudsi