[wp-hackers] WP option set bug (or at least discrepancy)

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Thu Apr 3 16:40:49 GMT 2008

Yes.

You should use add_option, while you are installing, unless of course the
option is dynamic. When you are updating, you should use update_option.

In order to figure out whether or not you should update, you should use
get_option to retrieve the option and test whether it is false, then
either install or upgrade, if needed.

Proper plugin development techniques should be expressed on the codex to
prevent errors on the part of the developers (not all of whom are complete
idiots, I do really stupid crap too, don't get me started, I have a long
list I just shake my head at).

Back on topic, there has been a patch made to "correct" this issue,
however it seems partially human error and developers to blame. I think
developers were spoiled off of add_posts() and update_posts(), not all
code works that way, nor should all code work that way.

Also on topic, this is the exact reason why you don't put documentation
that belongs inline in a developer manual setting. When you make a change
inline, you see the documentation there and can update it. Knowing where
it is on the codex is or even if it is on the codex is tedious.

I will suggest just creating a patch which adds phpdoc to that function in
the source and just give examples of usage on the codex page.

> Hey all,
>
> There's a nasty discrepancy between the core codebase and the codex in
> regards to the update_option() function.
>
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/update_option
>
> In the above docs, the advertised params are :
> - $name
> - $value
> - $description
> - $autoload
>
> But in the code (wp-includes/functions.php), the specs actually are
> update_option($option_name, $newvalue)
>
> The main issue with this is that (as far as I know), everybody uses
> update_option over add_option, since the docs (and code) states:
> "This function can be called even if the option does not exist, the
> function will create the option. ".
>
> It's an immediate issue for me that gonna be a big drag, because I now
> need to check if the option exists, then use add or update, since I
> need to set the autoload flag.
> Not the end of the world, but I thought I'd mention it before editing
> the codex page.
>
> Is there something I'm missing?!?
>
> Stephane
>

> ---