[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 30 17:06:48 GMT 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:50:09 -0700, "Robin Adrianse"
<robin.adr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/30/07, Omry Yadan <omry at yadan.net> wrote:
> >
> > great.
> >
> > now, what about non-gpl plugins?
> >
> > how can those plugins receive the same service?
> >
> > do we agree that for the sake of the users, it's better to enable
> > this functionality for all plugins, regardless of their license?

> It doesn't necesarily have to be GPL. According to the about page[1]
> it only has to be GPL-compatible[2].
>
> [1] http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/
> [2]
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

You're dodging the point. There will invariably be some plugins that
are not hosted with WordPress, for licensing reasons or otherwise.
These are currently left out of the loop. Are there plans to allow
these plugins some way to notify users of new versions via core? Like,
allowing folks to register stub projects with only version information?

This doesn't particularly affect me, either, but it *is* a good
question from the user's standpoint.

--
Travis

In Series maintainer