[wp-hackers] Plugin Challenge: Post from an iPhone - Challenge submission

Jared Bangs jared at pacific22.com
Thu Sep 27 04:59:16 GMT 2007

On 9/26/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:

> Looking good guys. Looking good. :)
>
> Haven't had time to check your src yet. But I'm curious to see how
> you tackled some of the issues we were faced with.
> I see it's iPhone only for v1. Have you put a lot of thought into the
> constraints of other mobile devices?

Yes, but we kind of fast-tracked towards the iPhone only for this
round. I'm starting on a slight refactoring tonight that will get us
back to our original plan of encapsulating user-agent specific
features into their own files and away from the "main" plugin code.

The basic idea we're going for is to detect any mobile device we can
(by user agent), and give them a stripped down version of the admin UI
suitable for use on mobile devices.

The plugin will send an extremely simple UI (probably no script or
CSS) to generic mobile devices, and then use a "plugin" structure to
alter (add features) to specific user agents that are known to be
capable of more, with the iPhone being the first.

I have to say that it's cool to know that this "race" (if you want to
call it that) is being run with such good natured guys; it reflects
well on the WP community, and makes me thankful for this list. Sure,
there are some out of control topics every now and then, but overall I
think it's a great asset.

- Jared