[wp-hackers] wordpress.tar.gz

Barry Abrahamson barry at automattic.com
Wed Sep 26 08:29:01 GMT 2007

Omry Yadan wrote:
> great.
>
> just curious - why does the user-agent have any effect on the file the
> client receives?

So, here's the technical explanation:

It had nothing to do with the User-Agent but with the HTTP request
headers that were sent.  By default CLI utilities such as wget and curl
dont send any Accept-Encoding headers.  Server side we were sending a
'Accept-Encoding: gzip' header sent by the client, an uncompressed
version was delivered to the client.  It's pretty inconvenient (as you
noticed) to have a tar.gz file that is uncompressed.

I have removed the Content-Encoding header and replaced it with the
correct Content-Type headers to identify the different download types.

Barry

--
Barry Abrahamson | Systems Wrangler | Automattic
Blog: http://barry.wordpress.com