[wp-hackers] Feed stats in WordPress or a plugin

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 25 20:51:04 GMT 2007

On 9/25/07, Travis Snoozy <ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> As with most information-gathering on such a large scope, it's only a
> matter of time.

No. Nonsense. I'm not going to buy the slippery slope argument. It's
crap no matter how many times it gets repeated.

So, here's the standard counter-argument: Given X set of data, show
what bad thing Y could be done with it. I mean, you don't get to say
"they're collecting data, and it's *possible* to do bad things with
data!" Because it's possible to do bad things with a tire iron too...
Or you can fix your tires with it.

Instead of saying "oh no, don't collect data" why not look at each and
every instance of data collection and determine specific risks and
rewards, and then make your decision on the basis of logic and reason?
You know, like we do with everything else in this world?

-Otto