[wp-hackers] Plugin update & security / privacy

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 25 17:49:59 GMT 2007

On 9/25/07, Moritz 'morty' Struebe <morty at gmx.net> wrote:
> Yea, and unfortunately it seems that I failed say what I wanted to.
> Everyone is talking about this being part of the update information
> system, which it isn't. It only for statistics.

Well, it is part of the update system. It's not currently *necessary*
for the update system to function, but still...

> And nobody seems to get
> the difference between transmitting URL and plugin data separately to
> transmitting them together.

Well, I understand the difference, but I still disagree with you. The
information itself is not noteworthy. Somebody who knows all this
information knows nothing of importance. It's not actually information
that they can use against you.

> Seems like having a gray position isn't very popular. Or maybe it's just
> too complicated that to things are not that dangerous by them selves as
> they are linked to each other. :-/

Actually they're not dangerous either way. A lot of people run "lists
of plugins I'm running" on their blog. Is that dangerous?