[wp-hackers] Feed stats in WordPress or a plugin

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Tue Sep 25 17:09:35 GMT 2007

Personally, I object to the amount and scope of data they collect.

They use one cookie to track you across all services. So they can link
your google searching to your mail, calendar, homepage (feeds, etc).
Then they provide google analytics, thus they can track you across lots
of other sites.

Collecting all that data is not evil per se, the part that I dislike is
that you can't opt-out. If you use their services, they'll track you. I
can't ask them to delete my data, nor do they publish a policy on when
(or if ever) data will be deleted.

Thus I block google-analytics.com, use a Scroogle (a google scraper) and
run all my google traffic proxied through a single IP. My tinfoil hat
gets a good workout! :)

You can find out more at http://www.google-watch.org/

Cheers - Callum.