[wp-hackers] Plugin update & security / privacy

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe morty at gmx.net
Mon Sep 24 23:17:22 GMT 2007

Has all been talked through on the stats collecting thread (not this
one). This one started, because I looked into the code yesterday because
I wanted to make sure my plugin works alright with the update system.
I pretty much gave up on this discussion. My minimum goal was to at
least md5 the URL or remove it, as it isn't needed - it works fine
without the URL.
I'm just a little plugin-dev - and it seems like I am the first one to
notice, although this is a long announced feature. Are there core devs
on this list? Or is it matt, some plugin-devs and the people who treat
php4 vs php5 as a religion? Or are there so few people really caring
about their privacy and security?
And I have to state this again: I would have had no, well much less a
problem with this whole thing if the URL would have been transmitted
separate to the version and the plugin data. It no ones business that I
have the admin-porn plugin running, which shows a beautiful woman on
every admin page. Just as well that nobody needs to know that I'm
running the old version of plugin xy.
Yes, you can do a brute force, but it's a hell lot more efficient (as
Matt pointed out) if you have a nice list of domains to attack.

Morty (Who is more sad then frustrated)

P.s.: Before anyone asks where to get the admin-porn plugin. You may add
it here: http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/