[wp-hackers] Plugin Update Checking and the Plugin URI

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Sun Sep 23 00:40:45 GMT 2007

Er, I take that back. I misread the code, but let me explain further how it
works while I'm at it.

The function grabs your plugins list and sends the whole thing at once to
WordPress.org, regardless of what the URI is of the plugin. WP.org then
parses that, figures out if any of those plugins are hosted at WP.org, and
then returns data on the ones it knows about.

So simply put, if you want update notices, you need to host the plugin at
WP.org and the details of the plugin (author, URI, title, etc.) don't matter
in terms of whether it'll get update checked or not.

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/