[wp-hackers] Packing JavaScript

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Tue Sep 18 19:37:13 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 21:31 +0200, Alex Günsche wrote:
> The overall file size of the gzipped JS files is 256,051 bytes -- the
> file size was again reduced by about 50%. This means, if you combine
> gzipping and compressing, you might be able to reduce the overall
> payload size to 25% of the original size.

Sorry, I forgot to provide a figure for only gzipping all the JS files
(without packing): It's 285,305 bytes.

This means indeed that with a gzipped connection there is only a small
benefit of packing. However, we know that many people cannot use gzip on
their connections, so the idea of packing the JS remains valid -- the
one doesn't hurt the other.

Kind regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net