[wp-hackers] API wishlist for Plugins

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Sep 10 00:04:49 GMT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 04:26:18 +1000, Joost de Valk <joost at joostdevalk.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like an API (SOAP or REST or something like that) to:
>
> - get the number of downloads for a certain plugin:
> 	- for the last day;
> 	- for the last week;
> 	- for the last month;
> 	- for all time;

If you know the Slug, and you want it for anytime thats displayed on the Stat chart:
http://wordpress.org/extend/stats/plugin-xml.php?slug=<Slug>

> - get the latest download URL for a plugin, to use in pages outside
> of WordPress.org (thing to check: are downloads tracked by opening a
> URL, or by an onclick action?).

Once again, If you know the Slug, this should point to the latest: (Tagged 0.5 releases are <slug.0.5.zip i think)
http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/<Slug>.zip

> - get the latest version for a plugin.

You'll be interested in the api for wordpress.org which isnt documentated AFAIK
Check out: http://trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-admin/includes/update.php#L43
You'll have to do some digging i think (It shouldnt be too hard to work out the structure from that code + a few Echo/print_r statements)

It would probably be nice for all that to be wrapped up into the api.wordpress.org with some documentation though.