[wp-hackers] The term_group column

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Oct 27 00:57:24 GMT 2007

On 10/26/07, Christine Davis <christine at neato.co.nz> wrote:
> With a bit more digging,  as part of the upgrade,  it looks like categories
> that shared the same slug get put into a term_group (with the additional
> terms having a number added to the end of the slug).  Which is at least an
> indication of its usage.
>
> Damned if I can see where term_group values are used for retrieval,
> though...

They're not retrieved anywhere.  Support for term_group never fully
materialized.  I think someone is writing a plugin that uses it, but
I'm not sure where that's at or what it's doing.  term_group is just a
simple way of grouping like terms together.  The discussion about
supporting aliasing, term collation, etc. never took off during 2.3
development, so this simple grouping mechanism is what we left it at.
If ya'll have ideas for making this more useful, do tell.