[wp-hackers] Moving tickets/patches forward

Bob wp-hackers at nj-arp.org
Thu Oct 18 09:27:50 GMT 2007

Ryan, thank you for your reply.

Email address validation is a pain and I know wp-mail.php is
overly-restrictive on what it accepts.  But at this point, I was simply
trying to correct the errors in the previous two #5169 patches applied to
trunk (yes, they made things worse) and fix the specific error mentioned in
#5169.  My philosophy is that it's not perfect, but it's better than what's
in WP 2.3, properly handles the vast majority of email addresses, and is
consistent with email address processing elsewhere in WP.

There are a few ways to approach the issues raised by #4616, #4642, and
#5169.  I'm thinking:
1. Put in #5169 as it is now to fix the reported errors in wp-mail and fix
the already-applied bad patches.
2. Put in #4642 to restrict posting in wp-mail to those allowed to post.
3. Expand #4616 to cover wp-mail and implement a general solution on email
validation.

Does that sound OK to you, or would you prefer a different approach?  Note
that a general solution also requires changes to is_email and sanitize_email
in formatting.php, as they only allow the same (overly-restrictive)
characters as wp-mail allows.

Bob