[wp-hackers] Plugin zip problem on wordpress.org

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 9 23:24:26 GMT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 16:07:36 -0700, "Daniel Cameron" <dan at scatter3d.com>
wrote:

> On 10/9/07, Travis Snoozy <ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:58:04 -0700, "Lloyd Budd"
> >
> > Similarly, the screenshots don't need to be in the release zip
> > (especially since the images can't have reasonable names), but the
> > current packaging scheme *forces* the image files to be included if
> > you want the screenshots to show up on the site.
> >

> I was going to request that extend only pull in the screenshots from
> the trunk, that way we could tag releases without screenshots for the
> packager to create the downloads but the major problem would be the
> need for different screenshots for different tags. So the only
> solution I could think of would actually complicate things.

It makes sense to tag screenshots with the version, because they are in
fact tied to that version. Everything resembling release X.Y.Z should
be kept together -- that's the point of tagging. Michael had a good
solution that I think hits pretty much everything:

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 13:07:43 -0700, Michael D Adams <mikea at turbonet.com>
wrote:
> What if the "Stable Tag" field in the readme could specify a
> directory instead of just a tag name?
>
> Stable Tag: 2.1/sub-directory

This is an excellent idea. The screenshots would be able to stay with
the tag, it's backwards-compatible with existing plugins, and it lets
us control-freaks cleanly specify what we want zipped up and
distributed. So long as the readme is pulled in from 2.1/, not
2.1/sub-directory, it should remain fully compatible with
WordPress.org/extend.

--
Travis

In Series maintainer