[wp-hackers] Plugin zip problem on wordpress.org

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:58:04 GMT 2007

On 10/7/07, Callum Macdonald <lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I just updated WP Mail SMTP to version 0.4. However, when you download
> the ZIP file from wordpress.org the files are inside a nested directory:
> http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/wp-mail-smtp.0.4.zip
>
> The zip contains the following directory structure:
> /wp-mail-smtp/
> /wp-mail-smtp/readme.txt
> /wp-mail-smtp/screenshot.png
> /wp-mail-smtp/wp-mail-smtp/
> /wp-mail-smtp/wp-mail-smtp/wp_mail_smtp.php
>
> The correct structure is just:
> /wp-mail-smtp/
> /wp-mail-smtp/wp_mail_smtp.php
>
> My readme in trunk points to the stable tag as 0.4, the dir structure
> there is
> tags/0.4/readme.txt
> tags/0.4/screenshot.png
> tags/0.4/wp-mail-smtp/
> tags/0.4/wp-mail-smtp/wp_mail_smtp.php
>
> Anyone got any clues? Is this a bug? I notice that plugins that haven't
> been updated for a while (Akismet for example) are fine. Could it be a
> recent change?

On 10/9/07, Michael D Adams <mda at blogwaffe.com> wrote:

This is the intended behavior.  All download zips get wrapped in a
directory (in your case wp-mail-smtp) for consistency.  There is no
need to put your files in subdirectory.  See
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/faq/

Akismet's zip file is simpler, because it puts its files directly in trunk:
http://svn.wp-plugins.org/akismet/trunk/

Michael

PS:  Sorry - I never got these emails from the wp-hackers list
(something must have been wrong with my mail server or theirs), so I
couldn't reply on list.