[wp-hackers] 2.4 Feature Proposal: New general meta-data table

Marcos Sader | marcosmedia m at marcosmedia.com
Thu Oct 4 23:49:20 GMT 2007

On 10/4/07, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Well, here's a first stab at it:
>
> CREATE TABLE $wpdb->meta (
>   meta_id bigint(20) NOT NULL auto_increment,
>   object_id bigint(20) NOT NULL default 0,
>   meta_type varchar(32) NOT NULL default '',
>   meta_key varchar(255) default NULL,
>   meta_value longtext,
>   PRIMARY KEY  (meta_id),
>   KEY meta_key (meta_key)
>   KEY meta_type (meta_type)
> ) $charset_collate;

Besides the missing auto_increment, I would use object_type instead of
meta_type.

On 10/4/07, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd love to have mediameta and get attachments out of the posts table,
> but that's neither here nor there...

I was about to propose the same, but I would make it a files domain (or
attachments) not just media, so that you can get access to any kind of file
related to a post (or any object), but not tied to them. I think that would
make WP even more flexible to be used as a CMS.

--
Marcos Sader
m at marcosmedia.com
http://defmay.com | http://marcosmedia.com