[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 3 19:55:54 GMT 2007

On 10/3/07, Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> Somehow this should be customizable.  Perhaps by changing the
> function call in the template, or whatever.  I would hate to have to
> hit a checkbox for every stinkin page I make.  Maybe add an optional
> parameter to the search function?

Something in the page template to disallow searches on pages using
that template might work, although that seems like a bad place to put
it. The template is the presentation layer, of sorts. Whether a page
is searchable or not should really be in the data itself, or possibly
implied by the application. A really nasty way to do it would be a
special tag in the Page content, like <!--searchable--> or some such
thing. I still like the checkbox idea, although whether you have it
default on or off is really a matter of personal preference.

Regardless, I like to Google's Custom Search functionality anyway to
get google results onto my own Page, but that's me and not anybody
else. :)