[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Jared Bangs jared at pacific22.com
Tue Oct 2 19:16:48 GMT 2007

+1 for indicating (in the plugin list) which plugins will be checked
and which will not. I think this is pretty important.

+1 for limiting the scope of automatic plugin updates to those hosted
in the extend repo, at least for now. Maybe opening it up a little
more later, when/if the requirement can become more well defined and
addressed in a reliable, standard manner.

+1 for adding a hook for plugin_update_check (if something like that
isn't already there) for plugin devs who don't want to host their
plugin on WP.org but still want to provide for update checking somehow
(either just an alert or rolling their own auto-update routine.

As for using other tools, (specifically Trac), I'm taking the approach
of maintaining an external repo (which Trac associates with) and
syncing changes from that to the WP.org one for publishing. It's a
manual process right now, but I plan to explore automating it using
commit hooks, etc.

[Side note: curious if anyone has any thoughts or experience with that last bit]

- Jared