[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Tue Oct 2 12:20:46 GMT 2007

> I'm not going to get into that here, but agree Omry's situation is an
> edge case, and not worth adding a lot of complexity for.
>
> I would estimate that 99% or more of widely used WordPress plugins are
> in the repository. From the front page:
>
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
>
> "1,053 plugins, 1,672,326 downloads, and counting"
>
> Once we start doing one-click upgrades and installs of plugins I think
> a central repository becomes even more important, as you have
> accountability for every line of code in the system.

Now that the plugins list is sent to api.wordpress.org, you are in a
position to get a real approximation rather than a guess:
simply get the percentage of "Unknown" plugins that could not be matched
against any plugin in the plugins database.
will it be possible to get this information?
if indeed 99% of the plugins are hosted in the database, I would agree
that my case is an edge case.