[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Omry Yadan omry at yadan.net
Tue Oct 2 07:57:42 GMT 2007

Ozh wrote:

> Also, I think that would be an extra motivation for plugin devs to get
> their plugin hosted on wp.org if it's clearly shown that their plugin is
> not pinged, rather than this "could be up to date" lack of notice.

So you think it's okay to discriminate plugins that are not hosted in
wp.org to "motivate authors".

Here are a few reasons why I wont host FireStats on wp.org:
1. Current license is CC-NC, and I though long before I chose it over
GPL. if I chose to switch to a GPL compatibly license, it will certainly
NOT be because someone forced my hand to do it.
2. FireStats supports a wide range of other systems, and it does not
make any sense to host it in wp.org.
3. I already have my own infrastructure that I am happy with (SVN, Trac,
Wiki, Demo etc). I am not going to throw all this.

and finally - I already have my own version check mechanism, so I am not
too worried about users not being aware of new versions.

I can make just the WordPress plugin file be GPL; host it on wp,org, and
require that users will install FireStats separately (and in fact I
already support this installation mode - it's called Satellite
installation), but this makes installation harder for users, so it's not
a real option.

I think it's appropriate to allow creating Plugin pages without hosting
the plugins.
Ideally it will also be possibly to update the information via some
protocol (XMLRPC?), to allow easy integration with other repositories.

    Omry.