[wp-hackers] Wordpress Cookie Authentication Vulnerability

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Nov 20 16:56:29 GMT 2007

Yeah, you know, after looking at this, I'm wondering what the point of
the double-MD5 is myself.

It could be to prevent somebody from getting the hash in the DB if
they intercepted it over the network (since it's in the clear), but if
somebody intercepted it, then they could just use the cookie
themselves and pretend to be the same person. They don't need to crack
it.

There's little or no risk in sending the actual cookie over
considering it logs you in. The only reason for a double-MD5 would be
to prevent somebody going the other way, much like the article says.

While I don't think that this is necessarily "insecure", it does seem
a bit insane.

-Otto, who would comment on trac except that trac is inaccessible from
my workplace (no route to host).