[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Gali galeenet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:17:16 GMT 2007

(up up up)
I'm working on the term_taxonomy table... here is one thought

2007/4/16, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu>:
> // term_taxonomy puts a term in the context of a taxonomy (link
> category, post category, or tag).  Hierarchy is put here as well as
> counts.
> CREATE TABLE $wpdb->term_taxonomy (
>  term_id bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0',
>  taxonomy varchar(20) NOT NULL default '0',
>  term_description longtext NOT NULL,
>  parent bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0',
>  count bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0'
> );
> "taxonomy" is a string that can be 'post-category', 'link-category',
> or 'post-tag'.  Plugins can add their own taxonomy types.  This could
> be an id that relates to a taxonomy table instead of a stand-alone
> string, but another table doesn't seem necessary. Another table would
> mean having the taxonomy string in one place rather than two, but I
> didn't drink that much of the normalization punch back in school.

Isn't the description of the "taxonomy" field a definition for a "ENUM" field ?
Optimisation of disk usage, consistency, and still allows a plugin to
add a permitted value to the ENUM list.
And not as normalized as an external table.

My 2 cents.