[wp-hackers] WP 2.2 Widgets Issue / Fix

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Thu May 31 13:31:03 GMT 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 15:14:05 Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> If a plugin is installed as a widget it didn't seem to make sense to
> have the options under Options->etc. when there is a configuration
> panel on the widget itself. It takes up room and means that when
> setting up the widget you're asking users to go to two places to do
> one thing.

It makes perfectly sense to have the options for a plugin two places.

The options you would put in you widget control is stuff like "How many of
something something should be displayed?" and "Widget title".

Options for the plugin itself should go into "Options" or similar.

>[...]
> I guess with this out the way there really is no reason to check
> whether the current theme supports widgets or not.... so I'll stop
> asking!

I think you would do yourself a favour by letting it go ;)

It would save the amount of code and easen the maintainence at a later point
if (when) the widgets code change.

--
Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700