[wp-hackers] WP 2.2 Widgets Issue / Fix

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Thu May 31 12:58:04 GMT 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 14:51:23 Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On 31/05/07, Robin Adrianse <robin.adr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > They're still enabled even if a theme is not compatible, I believe. The
> > only case in which the core widgets would not be enabled would be if
> > another widgets plugin removed its call from the plugins_loaded action (I
> > think that's the action).
>
> I think I need to learn to explain myself clearly(!)
>
> Is there a simple way to tell, from a plugin, whether the current
> theme supports Widgets?  I think that would be the equivalent
> functionality I was looking for.

I understand what you mean, but I don't understand why you would want to test
on that (unless you are making a theme-validation plugin).

You should register the widget anyway, either it is being called for (if the
theme supports it) or it's not. Your plugin should also have a convenient
function for use in themes that doesn't support widgets. That should be
explained in a readme/install file.

> As I say though it's a moot point now - I've changed all the affected
> plugins.
>
> Martin

Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700
Linpro AS                    http://www.linpro.no/