[wp-hackers] Re: SOAP Interface and moving to php 5

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Fri May 18 20:17:54 GMT 2007

> Forcing users, at this point in time, to use PHP5...

Forcing?  You mean because PHP5 is so horrible and buggy and offers no
benefits over PHP 4?  And because we've embedded a worm into 2.x releases
that makes 2.x installs delete themselves when a PHP 5-dependent release of
WP is introduced.  I have to say, that IS pretty evil...

> If we moved to PHP 5 now, we'd lose users...

Definitely.  Thousands of stuck-with-PHP4 users will immediately abandon WP
2.x because they can't upgrade to WP 3 on the day it's released.

Plus, we can keep the whole WP3-will-require-PHP5 thing a secret so that
that hosts won't have 6+ months to prepare.  Along with not giving hosts a
heads-up, we'll also let them know that it's ABSOULTELY NOT POSSIBLE to
create a special page listing WP3-friendly hosts, so that the few stragglers
will have no marketing-related motivation to be ready.

Now that I think about it, is there anything in WordPress that couldn't be
back-ported to PHP3?

-- Charles