[wp-hackers] Re: SOAP Interface

Marcos Sader | marcosmedia m at marcosmedia.com
Thu May 10 22:21:09 GMT 2007

On 5/10/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> > The truth is that there is going to be a long while until
> > hosting companies decide to make the transition over PHP5
>
> Given that 5.0 was released about three years ago, any hosting company who
> hasn't made the jump is clearly not a PHP-friendly host.

On the contrary, it is because of backward compatibility that many hosting
providers still support PHP4 over 5. There are a lot of popular applications
that do not work on a PHP5 environment yet, so it is better to keep your
current customers happy and offer new ones the ability to choose what they
want.

At the moment, this is the best approach I've seen, but of course, not every
company can offer this kinds of flexibility.

WordPress is one of the most important PHP applications.  If moving to PHP 5
> makes WordPress better or its development easier, we should think now about
> announcing that version X of WordPress will require PHP 5.

Not one of the most important PHP application, but a certainly a popular
one, and it's popularity and wide adoption is due to the commitment of
WordPress with the end-user, if we take the easy road just to make
"development easier", will be letting down many users on the road, that is
not very "WP-Friendly" ;)

-- Charles