[wp-hackers] Plugin Licenses

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 16:00:18 GMT 2007

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> David Chait wrote:
>> I'll put my vote +1 to a check-updates solution that does NOT depend
>> on GPL-only repositories, and -100 otherwise... ;)
>
> The opinion of the FSF is that distributed plugins for WordPress also
> fall under the GPL:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
>
> I've met people who suggest their work is too good to "give away" as
> Open Source software, but we're all lucky none of the contributers to
> WordPress felt that way or we wouldn't be having this discussion today.

I've never suggested my work is too good to "give away".  I have a
family to feed, and need to recoup something on my time (I thank the
people who DO 'donate', but it's too small, too far between).  I don't
mind GPL terms.  I prefer LGPL in general though, and my own major
plugins are all just 'non-commercial-use licensed'.

The opinion of the FSF is just an opinion.  It is not part of the GPL as
language (though I heard newer GPL might start to delve into such
topics).  The GPL is describing compiled code, and in fact code that has
a very particular threshhold of integration.  It does not specifically
cover 'plugins' for a web/interpreted language like PHP, or the issues
therein, it does not cover with any level of specificity at what point a
plugin would NOT have to be GPL (for instance, a photoshop-esque plugin
is given a pointer to a memory/image buffer, and says 'go'...  I don't
call that tight integration of internal structures and functions!).

I'm thankful for WP.  I've also contributed more than my share back over
the years, and I'm not one of the many gainfully employed by it.  In the
early days I tried to do more debugging/improvement side, now I'm lucky
if I have time to help answer Qs in the forums! ;)  I have a number of
plugins which I should go and put up in wp-plugins, as they're small
enough, yet useful enough, that I'm happy to just share them.

But I also pretty early on separated my major plugins into a 'core' and
a 'plugin stub'.  The core, in general, doesn't know a freaking thing
about WP, could care less, could be integrated into any number of
PHP-based systems.  For those without that separation, some of them have
a tight integration, some of them don't.  Some might have example files
of how one might more tightly integrate with a particular PHP system,
like WP.

<soapbox>I also dislike some of the holier-than-thou I hear from
GPL-ites who are either being paid to do their work (many of the
significant GPL projects are by paid corporate staff or educational
faculty), or significantly benefitting from it via other secondary
means.  (That isn't to point at you Matt, I have no idea whether or any
of the Automattic team have made money directly or indirectly off of
WP... or what salaries you make... etc.)</soapbox>

And back to the original points someone made: I have no problem having
my plugins hosted somewhere other than my server.  I'm not a control
freak.  The code is PHP, it's all readable, if someone wanted to
steal/lift from it they probably already have.  I just obviously can't
host most of them on a GPL-only service.  So having a plugin manager,
plugin checker, whatever, that only supports the GPL-only service is bad
in my eyes, shortsighted, and actually a bit of a slap in the face...

-d