[wp-hackers] port of 2.1 to postgresql

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Fri Mar 16 11:13:09 GMT 2007

I just to add that the "the whole purpose of using one DBMS over another"
phrase isn't true.

When I was with a company and we spent 6 months trying all RDBMS until we
picked Oracle, the reason wasn't because of Oracle's non-ANSI-compliant
functions nor because of the different SQL Queries Oracle takes that MySQL
and MSSQL don't.

All the non-ANSI functions present in any RDBMS aren't necessarily the
best/most efficient/recommended way of doing things. There are dozens of
blogging platforms for MySQL out there that don't use all these proprietary
functions.

As for the work required, I think it's ridiculous to shoot down an idea just
because it takes some work - and it's that much in reality. Dave and I have
been working on his port for pgSQL, and there isn't that much quantity of
code that needs to be changed. Even if it took 3 months of coding to get an
alpha version out for a WP-multi-DB system, wouldn't that be worth it?

As for the plugin business - that's perfectly true. You can't force plugin
authors to write generic SQL, but when you think about it, a quick
compat-layer bundled with WP would take care of that, and you can force them
to use it too.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/