[wp-hackers] port of 2.1 to postgresql

Dave Cramer davec at postgresintl.com
Thu Mar 15 11:38:32 GMT 2007

On 15-Mar-07, at 4:51 AM, Alex Günsche wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 09:18 +0100, Martin Sturm wrote:
>> Why doesn't Wordpress support multiple databases? I understand
>> that it
>> requires some changes to the archtecture, but it is a very useful
>> feature I think.
>
> It's also a matter of plugins. It would be much harder for plugin
> authors to write their plugins for different RDBMS. Yes, there is a
> database API with the $wpdb class, still there are a couple of plugins
> that either work with special MySQL features or that modify the SQL
> query which itself is MySQL specific.
>
> For example, if you have a plugin that takes advantage of MySQL's
> FULLTEXT index feature, you will have a hard time providing a similar
> functionality in PSQL.
I think it's quite possible to do in postgresql there is a contrib
module for text search called tsearch2
> Or, consider WP's SQL queries themselves: For
> example, they use SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS for pagination (a proprietary
> extension by MySQL), and each plugin that modifies the actual SQL
> query
> must consider this.
Yes, this one we have found. It's possible to replicate this in most
databases by using a cursor and seeking to the end
FWIW, regardless of the database this is a costly operation. A much
better way is to use count, and or keep track of the count yourself.

Dave