[wp-hackers] port of 2.1 to postgresql

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Thu Mar 15 08:51:16 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 09:18 +0100, Martin Sturm wrote:
> Why doesn't Wordpress support multiple databases? I understand that it
> requires some changes to the archtecture, but it is a very useful
> feature I think.

It's also a matter of plugins. It would be much harder for plugin
authors to write their plugins for different RDBMS. Yes, there is a
database API with the $wpdb class, still there are a couple of plugins
that either work with special MySQL features or that modify the SQL
query which itself is MySQL specific.

For example, if you have a plugin that takes advantage of MySQL's
FULLTEXT index feature, you will have a hard time providing a similar
functionality in PSQL. Or, consider WP's SQL queries themselves: For
example, they use SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS for pagination (a proprietary
extension by MySQL), and each plugin that modifies the actual SQL query
must consider this.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net