[wp-hackers] Should OpenID be in WP core?

Elias Torres elias at torrez.us
Thu Mar 8 12:51:48 GMT 2007

I definitely sense the consensus here. I definitely forgot about the
option of a default plugin like Akismet. I probably misused the word
core to just mean by default. I also never intended to be the default
and only authentication option for WP, just an additional.

I do think that *parts* of the plugin should be enabled by default, like
the ability to authenticate for comments. Also, I saw a good idea for
not embedding the OpenID provider code in WP, but delegate to
WordPress.com just like we do for Akismet. That part of course would
need post-install activation like Akismet, since you have to register
for a WP.com account. But I repeat, OpenID for comments enabled by
default could be the best thing for our money at this point.

Also, on the "not the only authentication option for WP" point, I was
thinking more like, you login into WP like today, *but* that enables
your OpenID provider session for which you can now use your WP OpenID
URL to authenticate to other systems.

Thanks everyone for your answers and I'm also available to help in any
way needed. How do you guys go about making a decision? Is it by vote or
in the hands of the committers?

-Elias