[wp-hackers] p inside blockquote

Chetan Kunte ckunte at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:00:07 GMT 2007

On 3/1/07, Scot Hacker <shacker at birdhouse.org> wrote:
> There is no XHTML rule that says this should happen. Create a test
> document with a blockquote, without the inner p, and validate it.
> It's fine. Both p and blockquote are block-level HTML elements. Why
> nest one inside the other?

Well, I see a reason why p nests inside blockquote. If you have a
quotation that spans more than one paragraph, then would you prefer
repeating p or blockquote? It would seem obvious to repeat p. Whereas,
if you tried repeating blockquote for each paragraph (let's say you're
not using p nested within), then what happens to child elements, cite
and title? Would you repeat them per paragraph?

WordPress is right in nesting p within blockquote. So, if you have one
paragraph, it wouldn't matter, but if you have more than one, then it
does. To me, the default is good. Please don't start thinking of
changing the very basics now. This is one of strengths of WordPress.
--
Chetan, ckunte.com