[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Jun 26 17:31:49 GMT 2007

Lads and Ladies --

Not sure how much my cute little opinion rates on this list -- but
I'm with Otto all the way on this one.  I previously made a
(sarcastic) proposal for changing "Posts" to "Words" because not
everyone knows what a "post" is, but everyone knows what "words" are.

All snark aside, the point is there.  Yes, these things we're talking
about _are_ links, just as Posts _are_ just bunches of words.  But
"words" isn't specific enough -- a post is more than just words.
"Links" isn't specific enough -- these things are more than a simple
<A> tag.

"Bookmarks" is a word that in the context of the web has taken on two
distinct, but related, meanings.  There are the "favorites" you set
in your web browser, and there are the Digg-like "social" bookmarks
that you find on web sites.  I think that most users will recognize
the distinction that when working in the Options for their web site,
they're talking about "bookmarks" on their web site, not on their
browser's menu.  (That SOME people will get confused goes without
saying, no matter what you do.)

We can argue semantics for ages (I say "links" are what hold my shirt
cuffs together -- Aha!)... but ultimately it comes down to
usefulness, not what we can find in a dictionary.  Links is a _very_
broad term -- so broad in this case that they entirely fail to
suggest the full potential capabilities of WordPress bookmarks.  A
Post is more than just Words; and these are more than mere Links.

Short of coming up with some _entirely new_ never-before-heard word
(on the basis that these aren't _precisely_ something covered by any
pre-existing word) bookmarks is a tighter and more succinct term than
the overly generic "links", without straying into the overly
restrictive realm of terms like "blogroll".

Sincerely,

Stephen Rider