[wp-hackers] Mass upgrade question

Aaron Brazell abrazell at b5media.com
Sun Jun 24 04:40:15 GMT 2007

There's only two people who have publicly disclosed mass upgrade
methods (that I'm aware of) and both are employed by b5, so I guess
I'll field this question. ;) A third who does this, I can only
assume, is Automattic with WordPress.com - but I can't speak for them.

Our upgrade script does indeed invoke cURL to run the upgrade.php
script. We can't expect our bloggers to do anything except freak out
when they see the "Database requires upgrade" message. :) Most of the
time, if a blog slips through it's no big deal. The blog will display
publicly as expected. One of the recent upgrades (2.0 -> 2.1) did
indeed break the Loop until upgrade though, but most of the time that
doesn't happen and the blog will continue to operate as normal. In
fact, that's the only time it has ever happened in my recollection.

As for the policy question - understand that in our case, we own 95%
of the blogs with a few exceptions where blogger-owned blogs
affiliate with us for business reasons. In those rare cases, it is
understood contractually that we handle the tech including upgrades.
So no, we don't allow people to opt in or opt out. It doesn't fit our
philosophy as a company to have people doing different things.

Hope that helps.

--
Aaron Brazell
Director of Technology, b5media

www:: www.b5media.com
my www: www.technosailor.com
phone:: 410-608-6620
fax:: 416-849-0347
skype:: technosailor

Everything contained in this email is confidential and stuff.