[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Leonid Mamchenkov leonid at mamchenkov.net
Tue Jun 19 21:43:23 GMT 2007

Hi,

On 6/19/07, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Marci O'Daffer <marci at odaffer.net> wrote:
> > To the average user,
> > "bookmarks" are in browsers and word processors and spreadsheets, but
> > "links" are on websites, and take you from one website to another. So, all
> > (or most?) things considered, I'm still camping with the Links folks.
>
> What with the semi-recent advent of "social bookmarking", I'd have to
> disagree with you there. del.icio.us and other services all use the
> term "bookmark". Think of it like a link with metadata. del.icio.us
> bookmarks have metadata (tags, description, etc), WP bookmarks do too
> (category, XFN, RSS feed, description, etc).

There's a really huge crowd of web users who don't even suspect that
their browser has bookmarking capabilities.  Bookmark is a foreign
concept for them.  Blogroll is a swear word.  They've recently
realized that Links are a cool concept for, well, linking pages to
each other...

Your world seems very different though. :)

--
Leonid Mamchenkov