[wp-hackers] WP issues

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Jun 6 14:31:52 GMT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Charles wrote:

>> That is incorrect.  If a document has a proper doctype at the top,
>> it will display in Standards mode (In IE, Firefox, Safari).
>
> Nope.  XHTML Transitional, with a proper DOCTYPE and with or
> without an XML
> declaration, renders in "quirks" or "almost standard" mode in
> Safari and
> IE7.

Harumph!

On Jun 5, 2007, at 9:39 PM, Matt wrote:
>> (Also, the doctype must be the very first thing on the page --
>> NOTHING comes before it.)
> Wrong, what about:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> :P

Harumph harumph!!!

That's it.  I'm taking my ball and going home!

I've been running two sites with the two different doctypes for years
now, and never noticed that the transitional one was in quirks....
Must be my incredibly tight and flawless code.

No... that can't be it.  ;)

As a test I tried changing a fairly complex transitional page to
strict, and the only change in appearance was that an unordered list
shifted down just a bit. Huh.

You got me on the xml header, but does anyone commonly use those in
web pages?  I recall some version of IE (probably 5.5) rendering
pages with that header as raw XML structure, so I figured nobody
actually used it for XHTML.

Steve