[wp-hackers] WP issues

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Jun 5 13:59:31 GMT 2007

Charles wrote:
> That's only true if you using XHTML Strict.  Since your blog uses
> XHTML
> Transitional (which doesn't quite validate, BTW), it renders in
> "quirks" or
> "almost standard" mode on various browsers.

That is incorrect.  If a document has a proper doctype at the top, it
will display in Standards mode (In IE, Firefox, Safari).  Quirks mode
kicks in when there is no doctype, or (I believe) an incorrect or
unrecognized doctype.

(Also, the doctype must be the very first thing on the page --
NOTHING comes before it.)

Now, validation errors can do screwy things, so those can certainly
muddle the issue.

Stephen Rider