[wp-hackers] WP issues

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Jun 4 22:33:48 GMT 2007

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> But why does the marketplace require XHTML at all? XHTML served as
> text/html brings absolutely no advantages over HTML, but gives one major
> disadvantage — you become reliant on browser error handling for the
> XHTML to parse.

This is false and a common myth perpetrated repeatedly by a few myopic
programmers who can't see beyond the browser. I can and do do many
different things with XHTML served as text/html that I cannot do with
classic HTML. In particular I can use the full XML toolchain to process
such documents.

Browser display is not the only purpose of HTML and XHTML documents on
the web. This is especially true for WordPress, where plugins need to do
all sorts of weird things with the pages, inserting, deleting,
rearranging, and filtering content. This is far easier and more reliable
if the pages are well-formed

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!