[wp-hackers] Using a custom post_type in the wp_posts table

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Jun 3 18:13:14 GMT 2007

On 6/3/07, R.J. Kaplan <just.be.happy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm writing a plugin for managing photo albums. Right now, the plugin
> creates a table for the photos, but I was wondering, what would
> happen if I stored the posts in the wp-posts table? I'd set the
> post_type to something like 'photo'. would it mess things up in
> future versions of WordPress?
> The main benefit of doing this would be the ability to use the
> wordpress comments system for the photos.
> Any input from people who understand the WordPress core would be
> really helpful.

You should be able to use your own post_type,  but I don't know of anyone
who has tried it yet.  If you start work on your plugin, I will help fix any
problems in core you come up against.  Your post_type should be more unique
than 'photo' so that we can avoid any future collisions with core or other
plugins.

Ryan

Ryan