[wp-hackers] Drop PHP4 support entirely?

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Mon Jul 9 09:26:05 GMT 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007 06:53:29 Computer Guru wrote:
> I have to disagree.
>
> PHP is a powerful -web scripting language- not a general-purpose language.
> PHP CLI *is* the _same thing_ as the PHP web. Same engine, works in the
> same way, does the same thing, and has the same weaknesses.
>
> Only difference is, one outputs to the command line and the other to a net
> socket.

Yes, but why should that be bad thing?

> It doesn't really make a difference if we're talking PHP5 or PHP3 - it
> wasn't made to do this in the first place.

PHP5 is object oriented and has a larger and easier-to-maintain libraries than
PHP3. Evolution it's called, I believe.

> It's not the language so much as it is the implementation. For instance,
> with PHP-Phalanger (CLR/.NET version of PHP), it's no longer PHP - you code
> in PHP and it gets changed into the same machine code it would be if it
> were written C++. But when you're running php-cgi or isapi or mod_php, it
> was never intended to do anything but web scripting and I doubt even the
> guys at php.net would recommend for such a job.

No difference using PHP-Phalanger or mod_php. It's the same code and the same
library. Configuration files (php.ini) might be different, but that's it.

> PHP may be more powerful than we think *as a web scripting language* but
> not as a desktop application....
>
> Sure, on Linux you have the (PHP|Python|Perl)-Gtk libraries which let you
> (very badly) tie a PHP script to a non-HTML GUI, but the best they can do
> is call up CLI commands and attempt to parse their output. So while you can
> have the PHP script call up `shutdown -r now` you're going to be SEVERELY
> limited by the lack of communication with other applications and the
> Linux/Windows API for whatever it is you're doing.

Why bring up desktop applications at all? It could be a server (daemon)
application (using SOAP, CORBA or something) that integrates with all those
other applications to control the various parts of the server.

Gtk-bindings (and other bindings) are just wrappers around C/C++ functions.

> -CG

Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700
Linpro AS                    http://www.linpro.no/